Thursday, October 23, 2008

Who are you going to vote for?

Son: "Dad, I have to do a special report for school. Can I ask you a question?"

Father: "Sure son. What's the question?"

Son: "What is Politics?"

Father: "Well, let's take our home for an example. I am the wage earner, so let's call me 'Capitalism.' Your mother is the administrator of money, so we'll call her 'Government.' We take care of your need, so let's call you 'The People.' We'll call the maid 'The Working Class' and your little brother, we can call 'The Future.' Do you understand son?"

Son: "I'm not really sure, dad. I'll have to think about it."

That night awakened by his brother's crying, the boy went to see what was wrong. Discovering that the baby had seriously soiled his diaper, the boy went to his parents' room and found his mother sound asleep. He went to the maid's room, where, peeking through the keyhole, he saw his father in bed with the maid. The boy's knocking went totally unheeded by his father and the maid, so the boy returned to his room and went back to sleep. The next morning he reported to his father.

Son: "Dad, now I think I understand what politics is."

Father: "Good son! Can you explain it to me in your own words?"

Son: "Well Dad, while Capitalism is screwing the Working Class, Government is sound asleep, the People are being completely ignored and the Future is full of sh*t."

So there is about 2 weeks before the elections and McCain and Obama are still fighting it out until the bitter end. I don't mean to be pessimistic, but doesn't it feel that like always, those not in politics always get short-changed? Politicians seem to work for special interest groups and lobbyists, especially when money and perks are thrown in their faces. However, I do hope that more focus is placed on what the people want. With the economic turmoil that we are in, and the uncertainty that exists throughout the world, one would think that "change" is indeed due. But suppose that one wanted to actually make changes, where would one start? With the deficit this country carries, the war overseas, the economic recession, and the never-ending problems with healthcare and social security (as if that'll exists when I retire), where would one begin to solve the problems this country is in. I know for sure that whoever wins the presidency, they won't enjoy inheriting what Bush leaves behind.

Also, I was wondering if there was any legit places to gamble on who would become the next president. Why not??? People bet on anything and everything, and with margin that is present between McCain and Obama, I think it would be interesting on placing a little friendly wager.... but then again, I'd probably be taxed on my winnings. Like I said earlier, "the people" never win.

No comments: