Saturday, October 25, 2008

Comparison between EM and MBA

Other the day, a friend of mine and I were talking about the master's program that we are in. He is working towards his mba and I am working towards my engineering management (EM) degree. I had asked him about the courses that are required in the mba program. It involved the typical courses you will find: marketing, finance/accounting, statistics, and some electives. I told him about some of the courses that we take including, managing people and projects, engineering economics, negotiations, and law. He was impressed about the area of topics that we cover in the EM program. I agree with him. I believe that this program actually teaches you real management skills.... my condolences to those in an mba program. In practical management role, you need to know, among other things, how to deal with people, how to make a project successful, how to foresee and prevent risks, and how to negotiate. This is what the engineering management program teaches you.... practical management skills. Many believe that an mba program will teach you business management, but it seems from the courses offered that mba actually prepare you for business finance related area, not exactly management. Personally, I think this program will benefit individuals in management role, as well as outside the business environment.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

MBA essentially prepares you for employment.

If you want to learn business, do business... how else can you know marketing, finance, operations and innovate at the same time while you only major in one field.

Great post.

Regards,
ANupam,
PRO,
MBA Forums

UT Engineer said...

I think the goal of any degree is to prepare you for employment. However, for a company to fully benefit from your "preparation" in management, you need to have gained the practical skills applicable to the company's need. I agree they require marketing skills, finance/accounting, etc, but typically these functions are handled by different persons within an organization. However, when positioned in a managerial role, you typically are less involved in the day-to-day activities of marketing, finance/accounting, etc. You are greatly involved in the overall success of the projects/activities. And to be successful, you need to know how to be able to succeed in a given project or activities. This includes being able to get a team to work together, to be able to drive a project from start to end, avoid risks, negotiate through all the politics, etc. These are the day-to-day activities that managers deal with on a daily basis, and these skills are not taught in an MBA program.

Unknown said...

Hi there, such a good topic..

I'm year to year contemplating on which course to pursue.

I have background in civil engineering. Started my career as planning engineer in construction company. After that, i jumped to Oil & Gas industry with same role...but now had change to project control engineer.. whatever my designation was, in general i was in Proj. Mgmt Team.

I plan to pursue in Proj. Mgmt course. But my previous uni only specific to construction (Msc Civil Eng - Const Mgmt). But someone advise me on MBA course that is said to so useful for future (say promotion to become manager..?)...

But to spend a lot of course on non technical cost is like..hmmm...? A lil confuse..

p/s: Found so many distance learning course for MBA Oil & Gas...not sure valid or not

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.